Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Groundhog Day

Tonight marks the one week anniversary of my hip surgery. In some ways, the past seven days have flown by. In other ways they have crept so slowly by. Every day I feel a little better. My least favorite thing about the recovery time are the restrictions while I sleep - I despise having to sleep flat on my back with my feet strapped in to the foot bolsters - unable to move. I'm counting down the days til that is no longer required.

Every day is somewhat the same. It starts like this: I wake up in bed, flat on my back, feet strapped to a bolster, calf pumps strapped around my calves, game ready machine strapped around my thigh and hip. Stiff, sore, a little sweaty. (nice, yes). I call out, as nicely as i can "help" - and my mom, who usually hears me on the first or second shout, comes in to undo all of the contraptions. I grab the crutches, hobble to the kitchen, and have coffee and enough food to give a little cushion for the pain killers and all the other medications I'm taking to help my hip. I shower - which is tricky and interesting balancing on one foot - and get dressed in some baggy shorts, slip on vans, a tee shirt, and fleece. Then we head out the door and down the elevator into the car, and drive into vail where I crutch into the Howard Head PT and plop myself onto a bike.

I have PT at Howard Head 2 times a day - usually lasting 90 minutes to two hours each session, along with a 20 minute driver there and back. The PT is great. It consists of about 20 minutes no resistance on an exercise bike. Then, I work with a PT for the next 40 minutes to one hour - doing passive circumduction, some soft tissue massage, and some very mellow exercises to get the muscles firing again. So far, both of the PTs I've worked with specialize in hips and are intimately familiar with what was done inside mine. It is reassuring. I wish I could pack one up and take her home with me.

My parents, who are my everything during this time (cook, chauffeur, nurse, psychologist), wait in the lobby for me - chatting with the other 'regulars', writing emails, doing stitchery and reading. After my PT is over, we head back to the condo, eat and I spend whatever time I have in some combination of the cpm machine, game ready, and calf pumps. Then its back to PT to do it all over again.

Evenings usually involve some reading, a movie and food. Luckily I've had a few visitors to mix it up - which as been lovely. Then its off to bed - where I strap into the game ready machine, the calf pumps, and the bolster, take a few pain pills, and drift off to sleep.

I'm still on pain pills - every 4 hours. This surprises me, since last surgery I was off pain killers about one day post op. I'm also still very limited in movements due to pain and restrictions. Also, a new thing compared to last surgery. Each day seems to get a little easier, and the swelling goes down just a little bit. My hips were about 2x as wide as normal for the first 4 days or so - but they are slowly decreasing in size. Along with the decrease in size, there is a decrease in swelling.

In PT I see lots of other hip patients - at all stages of recovery. It does seem like those who had labral reconstruction have a harder the time first few days than the others. I'm told by the PTs that, in time, this all equalizes and recovery time ends up being about the same.

The first few days after surgery, my biggest concern was that my hip still felt loose. I've talked to the surgeon about this, as well as the fellow, the Surgeon's assistant, both of my PTs and a few other patients (yes, I like to talk when I'm worried). One thing I heard from another patient was the most reassuring thing anyone has said. Apparently Dr. Philippon lets people view the surgery - both the fellows and the PTs on occassion. At the end of a labrum reconstruction, he forcibly attempts to distract the femur from the hip socket at various angles in order to make sure the new labrum has created the suction seal he wanted. The femur does not come out. I believe everyone's confidence that my hip is not loose is based on this fact. I think the looseness I'm feeling is a looseness in the joint capsule, and I am hopefull that this will tighten with time and with the reactivation/strengthening of the muscles. In any event, knowing that my femur is secure in the socket is reassuring - I don't have the feeling of the bone clunking around in the socket as I did before. I am so glad I chose to do this surgery with Dr. Philippon. I feel that I'm in very good hands.

Today I could go to the Pool to start aquatic therapy - which they have every tuesday and thursday. Today's conflicts with my PT, so I'm going to go to PT instead. Maybe thursday I'll go to the pool. I have some fear of the pool - only because that was the first place where my hip subluxed after my first surgery - 10 days post op. So, that's a little hurdle I need to make it over.

We originally were planning to go home this Friday - me back to SF and my parents back to LA. But, we've decided to stay another 6 days - mostly because I can't go back to work at this point anyways, and I also wouldn't be able to do most of this on my own. It is so important to me that I comply with all of their instructions as much as possible to do the most I can do to make a full recovery.

Most of the restrictions are lifted at week three - including the despised bolster. At that point, I can sleep however I want! that will be lovely.

Til next time...
Virginia

1 comment:

  1. Hi Virginia. I just wanted to thank you for giving such detailed descriptions of the whole surgical process. I hope you're feeling increasingly better. It sounds like you're already doing quite a bit, and I can't wait to hear how your pool therapy went.

    ReplyDelete