Thursday, March 11, 2010

Success!



Yesterday's commute was a success! Instead of riding my fancy carbon bike to work and risking it being stolen, I rebuilt my Klein with some decent parts and am using that as my commuter bike. It is riding reallllly nicely (thanks Dmitri!). It is probably a few pounds heavier than my normal bike, and slightly different geometry. Funnily, the bike's stem isn't adjustable at all - its old school - and all one piece. So, the only thing that is adjustable really is my saddle. I'm lucky it fits as well as it does! I scored on this bike on craigslist back in 2002 or 2003. It was my first road bike and I loved the Klein. She had a triple chain ring and some random parts, but totally functional. I raced my first year on that bike - and upgraded to a cat 3 all on the Klein. Pretty cool. I then went out and splurged on a cervelo and that was so amazing - I felt like i was cheating... anyway, i digress.

So, riding the Klein is a bit different, as is riding with a bag. I'm hoping I can figure out how to make the bag a bunch lighter as I go forward. I think leaving the big lock at work and toiletries at the gym is a start.

The commute was a success. The views were beautiful. I went up and over San Bruno to Skyline, down to great ocean road...







Up along the cliff house and lands end, through the legion of honor...





past baker beach to the bridge. Since I had time and it was beautiful, I decided to add on the Marin headlands loop. It was sloooow going up that hill, but so worth it for the georgeous views going down the back side.





I'll be sad when that road is closed - which I hear is from April through October. I'm hoping that will coincide with surgery/recovery - so its there when I'm back. Selfish, yes. After the loop, I rode back across the GG bridge, dodging tourists, and down along the marina green to downtown. It went very smoothly, and I was showered and in the office by noon. Sometimes i forget how lucky I am (for so many reasons) to get to have all of that riding, fresh air, views, endorphins, before work. It is so rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment