Monday, March 29, 2010

Surgery and Patience

After a lot of back and forth and information gathering, I've finally scheduled surgery on my left hip for April 13. That's 2 weeks from tomorrow!

I am so glad to be finally getting started on this whole hip recovery process. I had been hoping to have both hips operated on (and fixed) at the same time. Unfortunately, the surgeon who is willing to do that doesn't take insurance. While the hospital and anesthesiologist would be covered, I'd be out several thousand dollars - on top of my out of pocket maximum for covered services. It was going to be too much. So, I've come to terms with having one surgery at a time. Dr. Safran is very experienced doing surgery for FAI, and seems very knowledgable and meticulous - two things I appreciate very much in someone who will be operating on me. Here is a link to my surgeon:

http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/ortho/researcher/Marc_Safran/

This is going to be a major test of patience for me. Not only will my surgeon only operate on one at a time, he also has a pretty lengthy (and conservative?) post-op protocol. The other surgeon apparently lets you fully weight-bear within a week or so of the bi-lateral surgery (he said i could be off crutches in 3 days!). My surgeon, on the other hand, will have me on crutches for 2-8 weeks - with a maximum of 20 lbs weight bearing on the operated leg. I also will be hooked up to some large machines for several hours a day for up to 8 weeks and going to p.t. 3 times a week. So, its a more involved process. Once i'm off of crutches for the first hip, a month later I can have the other hip operated on - and then the whole process begins again. But, I'm feeling ok about it - I'm hopeful i don't lose my mind during the process and that the conservative route will pay off in the end. Why rush it. I have (hopefully) a lifetime on these hips. If 6-12 months of patience means that I can run again, can compete, train and push myself without pain - then its worth it.

I've already navigated the mental and emotional hurdles of not being able to train and being forced to re-define who I am (am I still an athlete if I can't train or race?) with the various injuries and issues I've had over the past 18 months. I think that was the hardest part. This is the less hard part. My biggest struggle will be fitting in all of the p.t., work, and strength stuff and trying not to gain a ton of weight. I have a tendency to eat more when I do less - and when I'm bummed out. Not a good thing. Hopefully i'll get to swim pretty soon and start doing some core and strength traning to keep me sane and keep the endorphins coming.

Preparing for surgery (and post-surgery) is kind of funny. My mom and dad are coming up from LA to help out - with my mom staying for a week +. This will be absolutely invaluable. We have done this before. Last June when I broke my collarbone in Tulsa and had to have surgery - my mom flew up from LA to meet me at the airport in oakland and stayed with me for a week. It made recovery so much better - not only practically speaking - someone to help me feed myself, put on clothes, grocery shop, pick up pain meds, drive me around - but also mentally. It was nice to have a caring person around to chat with, watch tv with, and keep my mind off of what was happening. So, this time around I'll have my mom and dad for a while, my mom for even longer, and Jon - while he's not working or riding. I think it will be fun :) Work's been stressful and busy lately - so it will be nice to have the break from that as well - to focus solely on healing and taking care of myself.

I'm told I'll be in this lovely contraption for 2-8 weeks for 2-8 hours a day. Jon is already jealous.



No comments:

Post a Comment